A small boy in Sydney, Australia gave his mom quite a scare when he showed her something he’d found in a bag of lettuce they purchased earlier at a local Aldi.
According to a post shared on Facebook by his mom, he discovered a venomous pale headed snake.
Lesley Kuhn wanted to warn other shoppers to check their produce thoroughly. She said, “Check packaged lettuces carefully. Last night my son found a baby pale headed snake in with his baby cos lettuce from Aldi.”
To make matters a little worse, the venomous snake was actually alive when they discovered it. Naturally, people were disturbed by the situation. As if people needed a reason to avoid eating salad.
When asked in a comment on the post what happened when they found the snake, Leslie said they contacted the Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service (WIRES) immediately. The organization was able to safely remove the snake and relocate it.
Article continues below
Our Featured Programs
See how we’re making a difference for People, Pets, and the Planet and how you can get involved!
According to news.com.au, Alid is currently investigating how the pale headed snake ended up in the lettuce. A spokesperson said:
“We’ve worked with the customer and the team at WIRES to identify the snake’s natural habitat, which is certainly not an Aldi store. We thank WIRES for their support on this. We are working closely with our produce supplier to investigate how this incident could have possibly occurred.”
There haven’t been any reported fatalities resulting from a pale headed snake, but the Australian Museum notes that they are venomous and a bite should be treated by a medical professional immediately.
According to the museum, a bite is likely not fatal but can result in “unpleasant symptoms, including severe headache, blurred vision, localized pain, and abnormal bleeding.”Whizzco